- De-ionized or distilled water (DI) . (One can just use the water collected from say a domestic tumble drier).
- Potassium ferricyanide (available from www.magnacol.co.uk or in USA and Canada from http://www.artcraftchemicals.com )
- Thionin dye, the chloride salt is the most preferable and was until recent years the standard form of it. But the acetate salt is now the only form commonly available (eg. from www.magnacol.co.uk ) . [A special offer of thionin is available for a limited period in the USA and Canada from http://www.artcraftchemicals.com ]
- Ferrous sulphate (sulfate). Available in USA and Canada from http://www.artcraftchemicals.com
- Sodium bisulphate (sodium hydrogen sulphate). N.B. Not “bisulphite”.
- EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, the free acid powder) . [N.B. This MUST be the free acid powder and not a sodium salt]. (Available from www.magnacol.co.uk ). For USA, or Canada, https://apcpure.com
- Sodium sulphite (sulfite) anhydrous. Na2SO3. Available in USA and Canada from http://www.artcraftchemicals.com
DEA, Diethanolamine. (Available from www.magnacol.co.uk ). Alternatively TRIS Base can be used. This is a convenient solid crystalline alternative which gives the same result as DEA but needs about double the exposure time. Available from :
All chemicals and equipment are readily available at low cost from Internet suppliers. Without exception the chemicals advocated are not acutely toxic,
Blyth, J. & Richardson, M. De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, LE1 9BH
Non-holographic imaging systems